Specialists Solutions, Expert Knowledge.Burnie Timber is a proud and local Family owned business, with a strong focus on Culture
Do you have a Design or Construction project we can help with?
Burnie Timber History
September 1991, Paul Yarwood made the decision to carry on the business of Burnie Timber in Adelaide. North Limited, the company who owned the Burnie Timber Veneer Panels manufacturing and distribution network at that time, had decided the business was not viable and so the assets were sold and the branches closed.
“..so you’re really sure you want to take on a business right in the middle of this recession, Paul?” – Paul’s concerned Mate
Paul, the S.A. Branch Manager, made it his mission to carry on the Burnie Timber name- his way. So, with the support of a very loyal client base, some very good supply partners, a small group of staff who chose to stand by Paul, and a bit of hope, Burnie Timber was transformed from a national corporate entity, into a Local Family Owned business with personalised customer service as it’s focus.
“The customer is King, without them we just don’t have a business.” – PY
Burnie Timber serviced its customers in the Furniture, Wardrobe and Joinery industries, and became expert at supplying “niche” or “difficult” products into the Adelaide market. Backed by a strong supplier network, Burnie Timber gained earned a reputation as the people to go to when the project gets difficult.
“So much of what we sold then – and still to this day – is non standard or bespoke, because our customers have always relied on us to provide solutions, not just products.” – MY
Fast forward to present day, and Burnie Timber is still owned and operated by the Yarwood family. Matt, the second generation, still insists on maintaining the tradition for excellent customer service with that personal touch you only get with Local Family business- and he’s still not afraid to take on a challenging project.
“No matter how big we grow, or where this journey leads us, Customer Service will always be the corner stone of our existence, we just want to be great people to deal with!” – MY
Burnie Timber has been able to foster many trusted Client and Supplier relationships, some of which have endured to this day.
“We are proud of our business partnerships, it’s what has set us apart from other businesses. So much of our strength comes from the Trust and Respect of our Clients.” – MY
Meet Our Team
- Joined Burnie Timber in 1995 as a warehouse assistant at 20 years of age
- Since then, Matt has progressed through ALL roles at Burnie Timber and today spends his time running the Burnie Team
- Matt has decades of industry and product experience and enjoys supporting the Sales Team in providing high quality project outcomes for our clients
Internal Sales and Purchasing
- Joined the Burnie Timber Team in 2001
- Des handles all of the stock Purchasing and has a detailed and in-depth understanding of all of our product ranges
- Being our second longest standing staff member, Des has become a trustworthy and reliable corner stone in the operation
- Des has a heap of product experience and is ready to help you find a project solution today
- Des is a Port supporter, but we don’t hold that against him
- Des loves Harper the Maltese Shitzhu
Trade Sales Representative
- Joined the Burnie Timber Team in 2010
- Paul came to us from a hardware background, and grew up around his family furniture business, so Paul has a long history in the industry
- Paul has a great working knowledge of all our product range and thrives on a challenge, he loves nothing less than sinking his teeth into a complicated project
- Paul is great at forming relationships, and in fact his success has come as a result of the trust he has gained from his clients
- Paul likes tropical holidays
Trade Sales Representative
- Joined the Burnie Timber Sales Team in 2018
- Mark came to us as a ready-made sales rep from the hardware game, with previous experience in his family’s furniture business as a tradesman
- Mark was loyal to his previous employer for over 15 years, and only joined Burnie Timber looking for a change- but not too big a change
- Mark is a popular guy, he has a strong, loyal client following and is always keen to help them out however he can
- Mark likes quad bikes- even if he’s getting too old for that stuff now
Internal Sales and Logistics
- Joined the Burnie Timber Team in 2017
- Aside from answering the phone and assisting clients with their enquiries, Casey looks after the warehouse and logistics operations of Burnie Timber
- Casey has years of experience handling logistics and warehousing operations for a wide range of different businesses- large and small- and brings into our operation the benefit of his previous experience
- Casey is a willing bloke with an approachable demeanor, and is more than happy to assist customers with their project requirements
- His nickname is Cheezus Christ- go on, ask him
Administration and Payroll
- Joined the Burnie Timber team in 2018
- Kylie is Matt’s wife- what family business would be complete without family members?
- Kylie is a Naturopath by trade, and is super passionate about her craft
- The addition of Kylie also means the addition of Harper the Maltese Shitzhu on selected days in the office- these 2 help to keep things light and fun during those testing days
- Kylie loves Dogs, Health, Magpies and Matt- in that order